Effective Date: October 24, 2014
What does this Policy cover?
What information is collected and how is it used?
The information we collect is primarily used to provide the Services, to process and complete any transactions, to respond to inquiries, to personalise and improve the Services, to monitor and analyse usage trends of the Services, to provide you with related, relevant information, and for any other purposes for which the information is collected. In connection with aspects of the Services, we may request, collect and/or display some information about you. We collect the following types of information from our users.
One feature of the Services is the ability to create shortened URLs (Uniform Resource Locators) of websites (“Melted Links”). Penguin George collects and stores both the original URL and the shortened URL. Penguin George also stores your IP address which will be associated with any URL you shorten with the Services.
Penguin George also collects information about accesses (such as clicks) or every Melted Link created with the Services. This information includes, but is not limited to: (i) the IP address and physical location of the devices accessing the Melted Link; (ii) the referring services or websites; (iii) information about sharing of the Melted Link on Third Party Services like Facebook and Twitter; and (iv) the time and date of each access. These metrics are used by Penguin George and its partners to improve their websites and services by provide value-added features, among others examples.
Information Collected Automatically
Some information is collected automatically when you use the Services.
- Penguin George automatically receives and records information from your web browser when you interact with the Services, such as your browser type, general location, cookie information and IP address. This information may be used to help us understand how users transit the Services, to prevent spam and malware, to facilitate collection of data regarding your interaction with the Services (e.g., what Melted Links you have clicked on) and for other similar purposes.
- Penguin George also receives and records information that your mobile devices transmits when you access the Services. This includes a device identifier, device operating system and version details, and device settings. to facilitate collection of data regarding your interaction with the Services (e.g., what Melted Links you have visited) and for other similar purposes.
- More generally, the Services automatically collect usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to the Site (which is derived from your IP address) and we may use various technologies to determine your location (at a city level) when you access and use the Services.
What information is shared?
The Services are designed to help you share information with others. As a result, much of the information gathered through the Services is shared publicly or with third parties.
Melted Links and Usage Information
Much of the activity on and through the Services is public. This includes, but is not limited to:
- The original URLs you have shortened, their corresponding Melted Link, your location (at a country level) and masked metric information for your Melted Links.
- Aggregate non-personal information about what Melted Links you have visited and associated metrics, as described above.
Melted Links and the general use of the Services may be shared in anonymised form and/or aggregated form (in other words, non-personally identifiable) with our customers and business partners. This information enables them to better understand how people use their products and services, to integrate multiple services together, to develop their services and to market and research new products. This may also be used to improve the relevancy of any online advertisements or marketing that is displayed through their services (or to tailor it to your interests).
IP Address Information
While we collect and store IP address information, that information is not shared publicly. We do at times, however, share IP address information with our partners and our services providers. In all cases where an IP address is shared, it is not linked to your individual usage of our Services.
Information You Elect to Share
When creating a Melted Link, you can share that Melted Link through Third Party Services. Any information that you elect to distribute and share through those Third Party Services is provided to them and may then become accessible to the users and operators of those services. We recommend that you review the terms of service and policies of such Third Party Services that you access through the Services, since Penguin George does not control and is not responsible for the privacy practices of such Third Party Services.
Information Shared with Service Providers of URL Melter
We may employ or contract with people and other businesses to perform certain tasks on our behalf and under our direction (our “Service Providers”). We may need to share information about you with our Service Providers in order to provide products and services to you.
Information Disclosed for the Protection of Penguin George and Others
Penguin George also reserves the right to access, read, preserve and disclose any information as it reasonably believes it necessary to: (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or government request; (ii) enforce these Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations hereof; (iii) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; (iv) respond to user support requests; or (v) protect the rights, property of or safety of Penguin George, its users, employees and the public. This includes sharing and exchanging information with other businesses and organisation for fraud protection and spam and malware prevention.
What Choices Do I Have and What Information of Mine Can I Access?
User accounts are not a feature of the Services, meaning all features of the Services can be used without registering, thereby limiting the amount of information that is collected about you as an individual.
Metrics information for all Melted Links created after 1st June 2014 can be accessed by adding the “!” symbol (exclamation mark) to the end of the URL.
What if I Have Questions or Concerns?